Cardinals President of Baseball Operations John Mozeliak has publicly stated the organization is seeking an impact bat for next year. Everyone likes the big bopper players on their team but is that the most pressing need for the Cardinals? Will the team simply outslug the other teams and abandon other aspects of the team? Of course not.
In this first of several in a series, we will look at the dismal defense from 2018. We are not going by player names in this but by position and then a recap of the team defense as a whole.
- The Cardinals made 20 errors at this position which was worst in both leagues as Detroit was next-to-last with 14.
- 11 of these errors were throwing errors (MOST in MLB)
- Fielding % was .986 which was 29th best in the MLB
- 29th most errors at this position with 19
- 2nd in most assists
- 7th in double plays turned at 118
- 26th best in fielding percentage at .975 with .982 as the league average
- 9th best in putouts with 113 and league average is 110
- 20th in assists at 292 and league average is 303
- 24 errors for the season for 26th best in MLB
- 26th best in fielding % at .944 with league average at .958
- 9th best with 273 putouts with 206 as the league average
- 26th best (or 4th worst) with 24 errors and league average is 18
- Fielding percentage was .963 and average is .972 for 25th best
- 25th best in assists
- 17th best in putouts with 1347 and league average is 1384
- 29th best in assists with 61 with 85 as the league average
- #1 best in errors with 3 and league average is 9
- #1 in fielding % at .998 and average is .994
- 14th best in putouts at 301 and average is 299
- 19th best with 7 assists and 9 is the average
- 8th best with 5 errors with 4 as the average
- 18th best in fielding percentage at .984 and average is .986
- 12th best in putouts with 404- average is 396
- assists were 6 for 17th best and the average is 7
- 9 errors are 26th best with 5 as the league average
- Fielding % finished at .979 for 28th best and the league average was .987
- 27th best in putouts with 285 and league average is 315
- 7 assists were also the league average for 17th best
- 7 errors were 24th best and 5 errors became the league average
- Fielding percentage finished at .977 for 26th best and the average was .985
- With 96 putouts, they were 6tg best and 78 was the average
- 2nd in assists with 190 and 153 was the league average
- 29th best (next to last) with 22 errors with 12 as the league average
- Fielding percentage was .926 for 26th best and the league average was .952
LAST with 133 errors and the next worse had 121 errors
LAST with .978 fielding percentage
The defense wasn’t very good. I am sure an impact bat would be awesome to have but if the club doesn’t place a priority on cutting down errors, this team is likely to be behind early and often in games.
Next: We will look at the team pitching and numbers from individuals from the 2018 season. Following that article, in two weeks we delve into the batting numbeers as a team .
Join our Discord to leave a question or comment regarding this article. We have sports fans talking betting all day — every day! JOIN THE DISCORD NOW AND QUALIFY FOR PRIZES & BETTING SWAG!