The Cardinals are currently 1-0 on the year and tied for frist place in the National League Central. They won their first game 4-3. Grichuk hit a 2-run homer and Oh blew the save but picked up the win. Carlos Martinez started and had double digit strikeouts.
Now we move on to Game 2 which is played at Busch Stadium on Tuesday, April 4, 2017. The matchup on the mound finds Jake Arrieta for the Cubs and Adam Wainwright for the Cardinals.
Jake Arrieta makes his season debut Tuesday night in the second game of the season-opening three-game series … he posted a 5.79 ERA (9 ER/14.0 IP) in four Cactus League starts, striking out 17 batters, while walking just four … made his final Spring start, March 28 vs. the Giants (4.0 innings).
In 2016, Jake went 18-8 with a 3.10 ERA (68 ER/197.1 IP) … limited opponents to an MLB-best .194 batting average … was named to the N.L. All-Star team, his first All-Star nod.
Since the beginning of 2015, he has gone 40-14 with a 2.39 ERA (113 ER/426.1 IP), a pair of no-hitters and a .189 opposing batting average. Jake has gone 7-2 with a 1.85 ERA (16 ER/78.0 IP) in 13-career regular season starts vs. the Cardinals … his 1.85 ERA is the best among all active pitchers with at least 10 starts against St. Louis … made just one start at Busch Stadium last season, earning the win May 25 in the Cubs 9-8 triumph.
Facing the current Cardinals roster Arrieta has fanned 60 and walked 18 batters. He has allowed two home runs as they hit .235 against him.
Here are the Cardinals individual stats facing Arrieta:
- Matt Adams is 7-for-22 against him and he has 2 doubles and 4 RBI’s but has fanned 9 times for a .318 average.
- Matt Carpenter is 0-for-24 facing his ex-college teammate plus he has struck out 8 times.
- Aledmys Diaz is batting .500 as he is 3-for-6.
- Randall Grichuk has hit one single, one double, one triple and one home run for 3 runs batted in. He has fanned 6 times.
- Yadier Molina is 4-for-24 and struck out 9 times.
- Piscotty has one homer but is 2-for-11.
- Kolten Wong finds himself at 7-for-29.
Adam Wainwright will make his 2017 debut in 254th career start/321st career game.
A win in that start would pass Dizzy Dean (134) for sole possession of 6th place all‐time in franchise history.
He is 13‐8, 4.25 ERA in 31 career GS (40 app.) vs. the Cubs. His 13 wins are the most by any active MLB pitcher. Adam was 1‐1 with a 7.98 ERA in three starts vs. the Cubs last season. Tossed a pair of quality starts beforeallowing seven rights in August outing at Wrigley. His 3.17 career ERA ranks 3rd among all active pitchers to Clayton Kershaw (2.37) and Felix Hernandez (3.16).
He enters 2017 combined with Yadier Molina for 217 career starts as battery mates, most in Cards history & most for any tandem since Tom Glavine and Javy Lopez had 248 games together for Atlanta (1994‐2002).
The current Cubs roster hits .301 (37 for 123) against him as he has issued 10 walks and fanned 30 batters. He has allowed 4 home runs and sports a 0.315 BABIP.
Here are the individual performances facing Wainwright:
- Baez 1-for-7
- Bryant 2-for-8 with two doubles and two runs batted in
- Contreras is 2-for-4 with a homer
- Heyward has one home run and is 4-for-18 with 3 strikeouts
- Montero is 7-for-23 and is batting .304
- Anthony Rizzo has knocked in 5 runs and is 11-for-36 but has fanned 5 times
- Addison Russel is 4-for-7
- Ben Zobrist has 5 K’s but is 3-for-11 facing Waino.
The next game in the series will be Wednesday afternoon.
Join our Discord to leave a question or comment regarding this article. We have sports fans talking betting all day — every day! JOIN THE DISCORD NOW AND QUALIFY FOR PRIZES & BETTING SWAG!