Things aren’t going real well with the Major League club so I thought maybe a look at the Top 30 Prospects in the Cardinals organization might give me a “pick-me-up”. After looking through all of the numbers I found myself getting more depressed than excited for what is coming down the pipeline. However, we have to temper that with the fact most of these are just through about 25 games into the season.
The numbers I have used are/were accurate as of noon on May 9th.
- Alex Reyes – He has not played yet this season due to a drug suspension. Many feel he will be pitching for the club yet this year.
- Jack Flaherty is currently pitching is Palm Beach. The big right-hander is 0-3 on the year with a high 6.08 ERA in 6 games. He has thrown 26.2 innings and allowed 31 hits with 12 walks and 27 strikeouts. He has allowed 2 home runs and has a .295 batting against average and 1.61 WHIP.
- Luke Weaver has not played this season due to an injured wrist hurt during Spring Training. It appears he may be ready mid-May.
- Magneuris Sierra is patrolling center field for the Peoria Chiefs and has done an excellent job in the field. His bat has been a bit of a surprise as he is hitting .286 in 112 at bats with 9 doubles, 2 triples and no home runs. Also, he has walked 4 times and fanned 23 at bats in 21 games.
- Edmundo Sosa is also in Peoria and has similar numbers to Sierra. He is batting .279 with 111 at bats and one home run. He has scored 16 runs and has 6 doubles while striking out 19 times and walking 6 times.
- Nick Plummer has not played yet this season.
- Marco Gonzales has not played and elected to have Tommy John surgery and will miss the entire 2016 baseball season.
- Tim Cooney has not played this season and has shoulder weakness. His return date has not been announced.
- Charlie Tilson has appeared in 26 games in Memphis with 88 at bats and is batting .256 with a .323 OBP. He has 22 hits including 4 doubles, 3 triples and has walked 9 times and struck out in 13 at bats.
- Harrison Bader is on fire. After moving up quickly last season he is in Springfield batting a robust .355 with 5 home runs and 17 RBI’s. He has appeared in 28 games and has 115 at bats with 42 hits.
- Sam Tuivailala is in Memphis this year and is pitching in relief. He is 1-1 wih a 3.75 ERA in 10 games. He has allowed 14 hits in 12 innings of work along with 7 walks and 20 punch outs.
- Jake Woodford is pitching in Peoria and is 0-3 for the year in 5 games with a 3.68 ERA. He has allowed 2 home runs and 26 hits win 24 innings pitched. Opponents are batter .252 off him
- Carson Kelly is catching in Springfield. He has appeared in 23 games and has 83 at bats with a .265 batting average. He has 22 hits including 2 doubles and 1 home runs. He has fanned 22 times and only walked 3 at bats.
- Bryce Denton is injured and has not played yet this year. His return has not been scheduled.
- Junior Fernandez is a fireballing right handed pitcher in Peoria. He has fanned 26 and walked 10 with a 3-2 record along with opponents batting average at .219.
- Jacob Wilson is playing infield at AAA-Memphis and is struggling with the bat and has a .203 average. He has 4 doubles and 2 home runs with 6 walks and 19 strikeouts in 24 games.
- Austin Gomber is pitching in Palm Beach. He has a 3-2 record and a 3.12 ERA in 6 games. He has allowed 30 hits in 34.2 innings pitched and 8 walks and 31 strikeouts. Opponents are batting .234 against him.
- Paul DeJong is manning third base in Springfield. In 28 games he has 105 at bats with 26 hits including 7 doubles and 5 home runs. He has struck out 39 times and walked only 12 times.
- Sandy Alcantara is pitching in Peoria and has appeared in 5 game in 22.1 innings pitched. He has walked 16 and struck out 24 batters. He has a .139 batting against average.
- Ronnie Williams has not played in 2016 and a timetable for his return from injury has not been set.
- Matt Bowman is pitching for the Cardinals as a Rule 5 selection. In 11 games he has allow 12 hits in 12 innings with 2 home runs allowed. He has fanned 10 and walked 4 with a .255 batted against average.
- Patrick Wisdom is the third baseman in Memphis. He is batting .210 with 13 hits in 62 at bats which covers 22 games.
- Trey Nielsen is hurling in Springfield with a 3-2 record and a 3.98 ERA. He has allowed 36 hits in 31.2 innings on the mound which includes 4 home runs and 13 walks.
- Corey Littrell is a relief pitcher in Springfield as he has appeared in 11 games. In 13.1 innings on the mound he has allowed 6 hits and fanned 14 while allowing NO walks so far this season.
- Juan Herrera has not played and no word has been given to a return date.
- Anthony Garcia is patrolling outfield for Memphis. The strong batter has 80 at bats with 15 hits, 7 doubles and 2 home runs. He has walked 9 at bats and whiffed 17 at bats. He has a .188 batting average.
- Dean Kiekhefer is the “go-to” in Memphis on the mound late in games. He has a 0.00 ERA and has a 1-0 record with NO walks and 6 strikeouts. Opponents are hitting a weak .167 against him.
- Mike Ohlman is catching in Memphis and has appeared in 19 games with 55 plate appearances. He is batting .273 with 4 doubles and 1 home run in his 15 hits.
- Oscar Mercado is the shortstop in AA-Memphis and has stolen 12 bases in 27 games. He is hitting .189 in his 106 at bats. He has fanned 16 times and walked 9 at bats.
- Andrew Morales is pitching in Springfield and has a 3-2 record with a 2.76 ERA in 6 games on the mound. He has allowed 4 home runs in 32.2 innings of work. The opposition is batting .214 against him.
Those are the numbers. Different people have different perspectives on how each prospect is faring during the season. Be sure to check back around the middle of June for another check on the Top 30 Cardinals prospects.
Join our Discord to leave a question or comment regarding this article. We have sports fans talking betting all day — every day! JOIN THE DISCORD NOW AND QUALIFY FOR PRIZES & BETTING SWAG!