Today marks the annual return of baseball to St. Louis, and the reigning National League Central Division champion St. Louis Cardinals are kicking off their home schedule against the division rival Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds. The six-game homestand is highlighted by annual Opening Day festivities (#OpeningDaySTL), the Yadier Molina bobblehead giveaway, Jackie Robinson Day, and a ceremony celebrating Red Schoendienst’s 70th year in baseball (#LoveRed2).
Monday, April 13, 2015 — Cardinals vs. Milwaukee Brewers (3:15 p.m.)
Gates open at 1:15 p.m.
- Cardinals Official Opening Day Pre-Game Pep Rally, sponsored by Hardee’s: The Cardinals, Ballpark Village and Hardee’s will host a pre-game pep rally in the Ballpark Village parking lot from 11 a.m. – 2p.m. Fan favorite, DJ Todd Thomas will perform and Fredbird and Team Fredbird will be on hand to give away Opening Day tickets, autographed items and other Cardinals prizes. Fans can purchase a Hardee’s Combo Meal after regular breakfast hours from the Mobile Diner or Hardee’s restaurant on Chestnut and receive a free Cardinals t-shirt while supplies last. Other sponsors include: Budweiser, FOX Sports Midwest, Goodwill, Krispy Kreme, The Muny, PNC Bank, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Office Essentials and The Tan Company.
- Budweiser Magnet Schedule: All ticketed-fans, ages 21 and over, will receive a magnet featuring the 2015 Cardinals schedule, compliments of Budweiser.
- Anthem: The National Anthem will be performed by Retired U.S. Navy Petty Officer First Class Generald Wilson.
- Ceremonial Pitch: Former Cardinals outfielder Willie McGee will throw the ceremonial first pitch to Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith.
- Remembering Taveras: Prior to the game, there will be a tribute video and moment of silence for Oscar Taveras and long-time sportswriter Bryan Burwell.
- Pre-game Ceremony: The pre-game ceremony begins at 2:30 p.m. as the famed Budweiser Clydesdales take their annual pre-game lap around the warning track. The ceremony continues with appearances from St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger, St. Louis Mayor Francis G. Slay, Fredbird, Team Fredbird and an American Bald Eagle, courtesy of the World Bird Sanctuary. The 2015 team and National Baseball Hall of Famers will be introduced via Ford motorcade, while 2014 Cardinals Hall of Fame class members Mike Shannon, Jim Edmonds and Willie McGee will also be on field. The Color Guard and American Flag in center field will be presented by the service men and women of Ft. Leonard Wood.
- Cardinals Care Stadium Auction: Fans have the unique opportunity to bid on exclusive autographed Cardinals memorabilia at the game. The auction is a great way for fans and collectors alike to obtain specialty Cardinals items while helping support the programs that Cardinals Care provides to youth in the community. Auction tables are located at Gate 1, Gate 3, inside the Cardinals Club, UMB Champions Club and Redbird Club.
- Cardinals Care 50/50 Raffle: Fans, ages 18 and older, may play the Cardinals Care 50/50 Raffle by going to any of the six ticket kiosk locations throughout the stadium from the time gates open until the middle of the 7th inning. One lucky fan will receive 50 percent of the gross proceeds from the game’s raffle ticket donations, and the other half will benefit Cardinals Care, the team’s charitable foundation that helps children. For more info and kiosk locations, visit cardinals.com/5050 (#Raffle4Kids).
- Cardinals Museum Championship Gallery Re-opens: After undergoing some offseason renovations, the Championship Gallery at the Cardinals Museum re-opens today with new and improved display cases celebrating the franchise’s 11 World Series titles. For more information, visit cardinals.com/museum (#CardsMuseum).
- Get Social: Fans should follow the team on Facebook (facebook.com/cardinals), Twitter (@cardinals), and Instagram (cardinals) for behind-the-scenes content from the club throughout the day. Fans can join the Opening Day discussion using the hashtag #OpeningDaySTL.
- Live Music at Cardinals Nation: There will be free live music from DJ Rick Paul in the Hall of Fame Club (2nd floor of the Cardinals Nation Restaurant) post-game until close.
(above from Cardinals press release)